Connect

 photo facebook_zps8cbd5f36.png  photo instagram_zps52c2150b.png  photo pinterest_zps35bb796e.png  photo twitter_zps93b5cbaa.png  photo bloglovin_zpsff10f10e.png

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Brown Smokey Eye

Beauties,

I am working on acquiring some equipment to start filming tutorials, but until that time my sad photos will have to suffice.
Today is a simple brown smokey eye, a look coveted by many. Don't be scared.

First we will start with basic terminology. Please see image for the regions of the eye that will be discussed during this tutorial:
The lid (see #1) refers to the area of your eye from corner tear duct to opposite corner tear duct. The crease (see #2) refers to the area right above this that often disappears when you open your eyes. The brow bone (see #4) is the area of skin covering the bone directly under the eyebrows. You should familiarize yourself with these areas since they will be referenced in the future.

1. Apply an eyeshadow primer all over the eye. This means apply the product from lash line to brow bone.  I have exceptionally oily eyelids so I always use Bare Minerals Prime Time Eyelid Primer, the clear one, all over before I use one that has a skin tone shade over top.  I've been using Laura Mercier Eye Basics in Wheat a lot lately, but this changes a lot.
If you don't apply a shadow primer do not proceed to the next step. It's over. Dramatic, but seriously. 


2. Apply a medium brown shimmer shadow to the lid. I used Snakebite from the Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette using a Sigma E55 shader brush.

3. Apply a matte warm brown eye shadow through the crease. I used smashbox eyeshadow in nude which is discontinued, you can try MAC Soft Brown or Makeup Geek Beaches & Cream using a fluffy black haired blending brush. I used a Sigma E40 Blending Brush which is a better, cheaper version of the MAC 224. 

4. Apply a slightly darker warm brown eye shadow in the outer corner through the crease. I used MAC Brown Down using a MAC 217

5. Using a small bullet brush (I used Laura Mercier's Eye Crease Brush) apply either a matte black or super dark brown eye shadow in the outer most corner of your eye lid. Pack the color on carefully so it's nice and dark. I used blackout from the Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette. Then using the same brush you used in step 4 blend out the color so there are no harsh lines. 

6. Apply a matte white or cream color eye shadow along the brow bone. I used Bobbi Brown Ivory 

7. Apply eyeliner on the top lashline. I used Maybelline Eye Studio gel liner in blackest black using a Bobbi Brown Ultra Fine Eyeliner Brush. 

8. Under the eye, lined using an angle brush the color used in the outer corner, I used  out with the same warm brown color I used in the crease to give a soft but still defined look of lining. 

9. Finish the look with mascara, obviously. I used Chanel Le Volume in black. 

I realize this is slightly involved, but have faith! With the right tools you can totally master this look no problem. Buy the brushes!! You won't be sorry. Then I'll come over and show you how to use them and we can drink wine together. Yay! 

xoxo. LP

No comments:

Post a Comment